network device aliases

Issues related to configuring your network
branlr

network device aliases

Post by branlr » 2011/01/07 17:17:49

I am trying to understand network device aliases, but I cannot seem to locate the information I need to understand.

This is what I know:
-Network device aliases are used to apply multiple IP addresses to one device.
-I know the process of setting up a network device alias.

What I don't seem to understand:

-What is the origin of the aliased IP addresses. For example,

A) Do you simply "invent" the ip address you wish to use (for a particular program), and then the traffic to/from these IP addresses are somehow bound to these programs like a port?

Or,

B) Are these supposed to be "real" IP addresses that are acquired from your ISP or assigned by a router, which you then simply configure the device alias to use?

If option A: How do you bind the traffic from the IP address of the alias to a particular program?

If option B: How can I get my router to assign an IP address to an alias device? Or, does such a router exist?

---the reason I need to know this is because I am behind a linksys router at my home, trying to set up a small demo version of this server software that requires multiple IP addresses (because two separate programs both need access to port 80, apparently). I can't get multiple IPs from the ISP without upgrading to a business class internet, which is not an option, so I would like to simply use my router to emulate it, even if functionality is not very good.

Thanks for any information! Links to detailed information regarding this are greatly appreciated!

Please let me know if I am completely misunderstanding something...

MatsK

network device aliases

Post by MatsK » 2011/04/15 08:01:04

Start reading here:
[url=http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch02_:_Introduction_to_Networking]http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch02_:_Introduction_to_Networking[/url]

bizna

Re: network device aliases

Post by bizna » 2011/04/24 14:14:07

branlr,

If your router is a home-grade router, then it works with a real device, and not with virtual devices.

The additions of virtual devices is good when you want to 'fool' each application, to think that it's running on a different interface.

But, if both applications work with port 80: how can you determine which application will deal with each request, unless they have their own addresses as well?

It sounds like a you have a bit of a mess there...