Can't get vsftpd to accept anything but anonymous connections

Issues related to configuring your network
gman88

Can't get vsftpd to accept anything but anonymous connections

Post by gman88 » 2010/06/05 17:52:50

This is on [b]Centos 5.3[/b] by the way..... I had a DVD and, well, just wanted to test some things.. I'm aware that this is not the latest release.

And, by the way (I just read an earlier post) I've added the username and password with which I'm trying to login (..hello?).

I'm at work and I don't have a copy of my Vsftpd configuration file ([b]don't wanna edit this whole thing - actually there is a copy, below[/b]). I've used Slackware for years and never had any issues with Vsftpd - it just works. I am trying Centos because I need help with upgrading my mail server (qmail) and there's not much help for Slackware users. Also, I used to run RHEL3 and had vsftpd working fine (had to copy some file to /etc/pam.d) but it worked famously. I compiled all my web server stuff (just don't like these default things where I have no idea how things are integrated) and I'm hung up on - of all things - vsftpd. Anyway....

When I try to log into my ftp server I get "KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type" and only the anonymous account works. Any other logins produce an error (incorrect login - see ya' later). I have SE Linux and the firewall OFF. I don't recall the directive, precisely, but my vsftpd.conf file is set allow local users to connect. I installed with yum and it added some lines at the bottom (one was about a user list and the other was about PAM). I've got a chroot list and a user list although it's not clear to me precisely where the user list should be placed. I actually uninstalled the RPM and compiled, too. I've done everything but call an exorcist. And I've found tons of posts regarding this on the net and none of the fixes worked. Man - on slackware you type "make" and "make install" (I build it with tcp_wrappers) and you're off to the races.

Actually - I did upload the vsftpd.conf file to work (where I'm at, now). Minus lines that were commented out it looks like this:

anonymous_enable=YES
local_enable=YES
write_enable=YES
local_umask=022
connect_from_port_20=YES
xferlog_std_format=YES
ftpd_banner=Welcome to blah FTP service.
chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd/chroot_list
pam_service_name=vsftpd
userlist_enable=YES
tcp_wrappers=YES

Could it, possibly, be something about how I am adding the user, the shell type, etc? I know that in Redhat I used to type "/usr/sbin/useradd -d /home/someuser joe". I've done it that way and I've also done it like so: "useradd -d /home/schmoe -s /bin/bash schmoe".

Any help would be appreciated...... This is a test box - I'd give someone root access to fix (or destroy) this thing. This morning - before leaving for work - I deleted the ftp user account. I will need to either reinstall or reconstitute that bugger, I suppose....

HELP!
:-(

chuina

Can't get vsftpd to accept anything but anonymous connection

Post by chuina » 2010/06/05 23:34:41

Welcome to CentOS.

New members required readings are [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=47]FAQ & Readme First[/url]

[quote]gman88 wrote:
This is on [b]Centos 5.3[/b] by the way..... I had a DVD and, well, just wanted to test some things.. I'm aware that this is not the latest release.[/quote]
[b]CentOS 5.3[/b] is seriously obsolete behind bug fixes and security updates.And there were a number of [b]vsftpd[/b] updates also.So, I would say for using the latest version.And [i]the latest version is only officially supported[/i].

More information about latest version can be found in [url=http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.5]CentOS 5.5 Release Notes[/url]

For [b]vsftpd[/b] basic configuration, starting with the [url=http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Deployment_Guide]Deployment Guide[/url]'s [b]chapter #23[/b] will be good.

For manuals,
[code]man adduser
man vsftpd.conf[/code]

There is [i]Wiki How Tos[/i] about [b]vsftpd[/b] using TLS : [url=http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Chroot_Vsftpd_with_non-system_users]Chroot Vsftpd with non-system users[/url]

Please come back if you still have problems.

gman88

Re: Can't get vsftpd to accept anything but anonymous connections

Post by gman88 » 2010/06/06 00:39:03

Good advice, on all counts. I work, literally, 7 days a week running a warehouse and maintain about 30 websites - so sometimes I rush things. And, well, I'm almost 60, not very smart, and tired! I will download the latest release, review the forum guidelines, and take a look at the notes regarding vsftpd using the link you provided.

Many thanks... I appreciate you taking the time to inform/scold me (seriously).

Return to “CentOS 5 - Networking Support”