Cloning a second hard disk

Issues related to hardware problems
tahnan

Post by tahnan » 2013/02/25 04:22:41

Hallo, I tried many site and goolgle to resolve the issue of cloning a second hard disk.But I'm unable to have perfect answer for this. I have mail server and web server as well as dns server running. I need to clone the entire hard disk of current system while running and clone first hard disk to second hard disk. Then I'll remove that first hard disk and just replace the second one. I do not have any os installed on second hdd. That hdd is fresh and do not have any partition. I found very hard to get good tutorial on this topic. Dose any one have any experience on this? please do share.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2013/02/25 10:29:00

You're not going to be able to do this "while running".

tahnan

Re: Cloning a second hard disk

Post by tahnan » 2013/02/25 14:00:18

I believe that exactly correct. I did cloned new hard drive with acronis while the server was down and i did through usb. I got uuid error at last but that was solved too. But i have many servers at my noc which was running almost a year and it is not possible to turned those server down even for 30 min. so i was looking for live cloning tool rather than backup like dd rsync etc. So is this your suggestion to create another server and keep taking backup once in a while rather than live clone?