Sound achitecture messed up in Centos 5

Issues related to hardware problems
tkalfaoglu

Post by tkalfaoglu » 2010/04/20 09:13:34

On two different machines running Centos 5, whenever I plug in a webcam, the sound disappears..
The audio tools can no longer play sound..Is there an update or anything to do against this?
It seems whenever the webcam is plugged in, it takes precedence for audio output over the
on board sound card..

-turgut

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: Sound achitecture messed up in Centos 5

Post by pschaff » 2010/04/21 12:24:32

You don't say what you have tried. Did you use the mixer settings to select sound device? What driver are you using for the webcam? The sound card? That may have something to do with it.

Have you done the required reading, including the parts about finding answers and providing information about your system? The kernel independent, kABI tracking [url=http://elrepo.org/]ELRepo[/url] kmod-alsa module may be worth a try, but the ELRepo folks here may want to venture an opinion on that.

NedSlider
Forum Moderator

Post by NedSlider » 2010/04/21 13:24:05

[quote]
tkalfaoglu wrote:
On two different machines running Centos 5, whenever I plug in a webcam, the sound disappears..
The audio tools can no longer play sound..Is there an update or anything to do against this?
It seems whenever the webcam is plugged in, it takes precedence for audio output over the
on board sound card..

-turgut[/quote]

I had a similar problem with my Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 as detailed on this page:

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/Webcams

Booting with the webcam connected caused the onboard sound to fail. The workaround described fixed it for me. Maybe something similar might help you?