Will this upgrade work?

Issues related to hardware problems
Crashdamage

Will this upgrade work?

Post by Crashdamage » 2008/04/05 18:58:12

I've had CentOS 5.1 32-bit installed for 2-3 months on my main workstation. It's been unstable all along. Since the problems started after OS installation and some hardware upgrades done at the same time, I wasn't sure which was to blame for a while. I soon ruled out software problems and have been trying to identify the defective hardware but it's been a tricky problem to pin down. I after a lot of testing I thought I had some type of motherboard problem, but after an identical motherboard swap the exact same problems remained. I should never doubt Asus reliability. Now I'm pretty sure it was actually the power supply all along, as I finally found it oddly doesn't always supply the correct 5 volts, but can vary from about 5.2v to 4.4v. When it drops below 4.6v or so things get iffy. Was a very tough problem to track down 'cause it's so intermittent.

Anyway, point is that I've decided to salvage some of the present system for other uses and go ahead and update the box again. I'd like to know if anyone here thinks I'll have any trouble just plugging in the new parts and rebooting from the existing OS. I spent a lot of time getting this 5.1 installation just right and would really like to avoid a couple of full days of work doing it again. I hate doing reinstalls, that's one reason I came to CentOS. I choose the new parts for both the intended use and compatibility. I *think* CentOS should just find the new hardware, load and go, but...

The system now (which when it runs is still just fine):

Motherboard: Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe NForce2
CPU: AMD Athlon 2800+ Barton
Memory: Patriot 2G (2 x 1G) DDR400
Video: Asus/nVidia GeForce 7600GS
HD: 2x WD 320G IDE 16mb cache
DVD Writer: HP DVD530i IDE
Sound: Standard Soundblaster PCI
NIC: Realtek 8139
Power: Antec 480w (came w/Antec Sonata case)

The coming changes:

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-E SLI AM2 NVIDIA nForce 500
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane
Memory: Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
Video: Asus/nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Power: Corsair 550W

IOW, it's basically a motherboard/CPU change, and a very similar video card. I'll reuse all the IDE drives, Realtek NIC, Soundlbaster PCI, box, etc. Disable all the onboard stuff - NICs, gameports, sound, etc. - like always. I think this will make a nice quick box I can live with for years and expand as necessary. If anyone disagrees I'd like to know.

I do have an external Soundblaster Extigy USB I might try instead of my trusty old PCI card for a sound upgrade. I've never had much luck using it with Linux but I saw in another post here that adebened was using one with 5.1, so I can assume it'll work? adebened?

cormander

Will this upgrade work?

Post by cormander » 2008/04/18 06:07:08

Hardware dependencies live in kernel drivers. For the most part you're probably OK. Just go ahead and boot your current installation on the new hardware. If a particular device isn't working, make sure kudzu is set to start on boot (chkconfig kudzu on) and reboot. If kudzu doesn't run and prompt you about the new detected hardware, you can always run the "kudzu" command manually.

Return to “CentOS 5 - Hardware Support”