Testing postifx installation

Issues related to software problems.
tnorms22

Post by tnorms22 » 2011/08/03 19:23:39

I am working on a centos 5 server and has postfix installed orginally, never really used it though, then decided I needed sendmail per the other software i was using, attempted to install sendmail and had problems. Then realized the vendor was wrong and postfix should work fine. I yum removed sendmail and installed postfix and am now unsure of how to test its functionality. I tried the host command which wont work and the mail command to send mail but the command cant be found. I have tried running with su root and still cant find the command. I tried to email myself from a gmail account and it came back undeliverable. I have the domain registered through godaddy and I edited the mx record on godaddy to point to mail.domain and smtp.domain and the domain is pointing to the ip address from my provider. Is there something I may have missed. I completed all of the guide from here: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix.

Is it possible by removing sendmail after i installed postfix that it removed some dependencies or that I may have missed a step somewhere being that the domain is registered through godaddy?

Thanks

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/08/04 10:41:49

Please do not start a new thread related to an an existing issue without even [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=32330&forum=37]referencing[/url] the old one. It might have been better to continue there, but it is a somewhat different question.

Any speculation about what you may have removed would be pure guesswork. Did you note what happened when you removed sendmail? You should not need to be root to run the "mail" command, and it is not part of either postfix or sendmail.[code]
# which mail
/bin/mail
# rpm -qf /bin/mail
mailx-8.1.1-44.2.2[/code]

A google on [url=http://www.google.com/search?q=test+postfix&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a]test postfix[/url] may help.

tnorms22

Re: Testing postifx installation

Post by tnorms22 » 2011/10/14 02:27:17

I have tried googling for testing post fix before I posted, Which I typically do to a great extent before asking questions. When I try the mail command it says it cant be found. When i navigate to /bin/ there is no mail listed. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2011/10/14 06:11:32

[code]
yum provides \*/bin/mail
mailx-8.1.1-44.2.2.x86_64 : The /bin/mail program for sending e-mail messages.
[/code]

tnorms22

Post by tnorms22 » 2011/10/14 07:15:58

Thanks, i was just trying to install mail, didnt realize the x was added to it. I can successfully send mail to other users on the system and it is showing in the logs. When i try to send mail from my gmail to the ssh username or to root@mydomain.com gmail returns an undelivered message. There is nothing in the logs either. I just opened port 110 in the iptables as well. If i telnet mydomain.com 25 it returns 220 mydomain.com ESMTP POSTfix

If i telnet mail.mydomain.com 25 it says port 25 is not open. 25 is open at mydomain.com though in iptables. Do i have to explicitly open 25 on mail.mydomain? I wouldn't think so but Im new to setting up mail.

Thanks for your help.

legrandtimonier

Post by legrandtimonier » 2013/10/07 13:25:59

Hello, I might be in the wrong place, but I'd like to know if you or anyone else might be able to help me with an outgoing email problem I'm having with mailx in CentOS 6.4, in which whenever I try and send Bcc mails to multiple recipients everyone sees everyone else's addresses as though they were CCs instead of Bccs. I thought I was using the right options, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Thanks in advance.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2013/10/08 18:34:12

Please don't hijack threads. If you think you have an issue similar to an existing one then create your own thread with a descriptive subject and include a link to the thread(s) you think are similar.

This thread is locked.