RPMforge commands incorrect

Issues related to software problems.
charles25

Post by charles25 » 2010/03/08 09:09:03

I have tried to install flash and bluefish I found a rpmforge version but the instructions dont work thats provided here heck nothing is that's why I tried to find somewhere else to find out how do you install packages from the internet? Software installer installs nothing and every instruction from this site is wrong the only thing right was yum priorities but the repo file cant save in vi and its blank every instruction from additional software followed no bluefish or notepad++ how do you install anything? I have to enter ./sbin/service to use service how retarded. Can someone help and not give me a link to do something that does not work everything on this site does not work! Centos.org my

michaelnel

Re: RPMforge commands incorrect

Post by michaelnel » 2010/03/08 18:41:39

(biting my tongue).

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/03/08 18:55:17

Welcome to the CentOS fora. The following reading is recommended for new users:
[url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14274&forum=47]Readme First[/url]
[url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14408&forum=47]Installing Software[/url]
[url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14273&forum=47]Where to Find Answers[/url]
[url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25128&forum=47]How to provide information about your system[/url]

[quote]
charles25 wrote:
I have tried to install flash and bluefish I found a rpmforge version but the instructions dont work thats provided here heck nothing is that's why I tried to find somewhere else to find out how do you install packages from the internet? Software installer installs nothing and every instruction from this site is wrong the only thing right was yum priorities but the repo file cant save in vi and its blank every instruction from additional software followed no bluefish or notepad++ how do you install anything? I have to enter ./sbin/service to use service how retarded. Can someone help and not give me a link to do something that does not work everything on this site does not work! Centos.org my[/quote]

It is very hard to guess what may be wrong as there is practically no intelligible content to your post, aside from complaints that things don't work as you might expect. To get any help you need to provide some details such as the exact commands you tried and the results. From the "/sbin/service" comment I would guess that you need to learn how to [url=http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BecomingRoot]become root[/url]. If that does not help with your other problems, please post again after doing the recommended reading.

charles25

Post by charles25 » 2010/03/11 03:36:31

I knew someone like this would respond I followed the instructions I am root the commands I entered is on the rpm forge repositiry page I can't believe so many problems with circle answers did you not read what I said it's frustrating having one site to ask questions and the answers are all the same I just want to install a repositorie for Cent OS 5.4 Centos is a unknown linux redhat what fedora what thats all I see. Oh I found out whats going on Cent Os sucks many forums said there is no solution to this it's a take what you get system it's outdated no proper admin tools and no proper packages for most of the tools i require. Oh well at least I know the truth that new software does not work I managed to install bluefish and my system crashed I just need it for school I will get another linux for private use dang all you had to do is say our linux sucks its a shell of an OS no wonder why my computer won't install it or burn it it sucks! You cant choose Gnome and KDE at install it doesn't work oh well Thank You anyway you could have told the truth instead of giving mr the same answer you gave the last 2000 people read what it's wrong! I am experienced with Linux also this is the worst one ever!

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2010/03/11 04:58:28

While it can be aggravating to get vague answers, there's also the point that you're really not explaining what happened. Therefore, though I'm sure this will aggravate you even more, you should *really* look at how to ask questions the smart way, at http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

If nothing else, it will save Michael's tongue--hopefully, he didn't bite it too hard.

CentOS stinks I followed the instructions and it didn't work.

Yes it's old. Somewhere in one of the links that Phil gave, I think there's an explanation of that.

I followed the instructions, I became root. Did you do su or su - (with the dash?) Which instructions? The ones on the wiki? Some others on another forum?

Also, did you not read what I said---no, I glanced at it, because you're using no punctuation. If you're working with a keyboard that doesn't have a . and ? key, you might have some serious problems.

And if you think CentOS is bad, go to the Fedora forums, a nice brand new spankin' Linux that has hundreds of posts suggesting, after yet another major breakage following an upgrade, that the poster use CentOS.

If you still feel like trying, there is always the wiki article on using rpmforge.

As for the truth, an O/S is in the mind of the beholder. Some people say Windows is horrible, others love it. Same for Mac, *BSD, and the differeing versions of Linux.

The good about CentOS--usually very stable, good for servers, not as good for desktop.
The bad--packages often outdated, many newer programs won't compile without a great deal of work.
The good about Fedora--lots and lots of new packages.
The bad--like many newer desktop oriented Linux distributions, it gets more like Windows all the time, fighting you if you go against the defaults, hiding everything behind pretty GUIs that don't tell you what went wrong, pulseaudio, a solution in search of a problem, and so on.

Anyway, good luck with your choices. I would suggest though, if for no other reason than saving Michael's tongue will give you good karma, that you take a few deep breaths and perhaps pet a puppy or kitten before posting again.

With which Linux are you experienced? I could see, for example, someone used to Arch being incredibly frustrated, and someone used to Ubuntu also being frustrated, though for opposite reasons.

Basically, I suspect that most people in the IT field have said, more than once, "I HATE COMPUTERS!"

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2010/03/11 12:53:20

Thank you for your well reasoned and literate response to the OP's postings, [b]Scott[/b]. It has saved me a lot of time.

To the OP, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that [i]CentOS[/i] is 100% binary compatible with [i]RHEL[/i]. That's right, [b]Red Hat Enterprise Linux[/b]. So by virtue of that fact, your tirade has also been directed at and applied to [b]Red Hat, Inc.[/b]

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/03/11 15:21:40

+1to [b]Scott[/b]!

I suspect we are talking to ourselves anyway by now. [b]charles25[/b] is probably off installing Fedora 12 or Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) and wishing the school would let him use Windows. ;-)

r_hartman

Post by r_hartman » 2010/03/12 19:49:41

I guess one who hasn't mastered 'language' will have problems using 'syntax'... :-D

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2010/03/12 20:02:36

Ah, Ok, I admit I was also guilty of this, but really, we shouldn't make fun of folks with syntax issues.

Sometimes, they are from other countries, and their particular language may not have the same punctuation. If that was the case, and the OP is not a native speaker, I apologize for that aspect of my remarks.

As we all know, any distribution (or O/S) can drive a person to anger. :) Last night, I was cursing CentOS (see the thread about genisoimage for being antiquated. Of course, I myself am antiquated, so it's a good fit.

I was also cursing OS X for what it had done to my USB drive, when a few misguided clicks formatted it with the GUID that had to be removed. And, for good measure, cursing Fat32 for not being able to accept a file over 4 GB---this was after cursing mysel for forgetting that and making several abortive efforts to make the copy, and think that somehow, I'd lost 4 GB off my USB stick. :)

In fairness to myself, I did not go on the forums for any of these things and say how bad they are. Hrrm, is there a fat32 forum?

Anyway, all kidding aside, one ranting post is forgivable, IMHO, as computers can drive us to distraction--however, when people continue in such a manner, it's really time to take a deep breath, pet a puppy or kitten or something equally polly-anna-ish and remember that today is the first day of the rest of your life--hrrm, of course, yesterday was too, and that didn't go so well. .

Hrrm, I've just depressed myself......

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2010/03/12 20:49:26

I'm more likely to cut some slack when the poster has a non-English speaking country in the "From" on their profile.
Empty "From" suggests a lack of initiative.

Return to “CentOS 5 - Software Support”