Small font size in Google Earth

Issues related to software problems.
vizziee

Post by vizziee » 2010/02/24 21:03:43

Hello,

After a somewhat arduous experience, I could successfully install Google Earth 5 on my CentOS 5.3 machine (kernel 2.6.18-128.2.1.el5). However the font size of the user interface is so small that I can barely read it. A little bit of digging into posts on Google Earth community tells that this problem is a common one on GE linux installations. Various solutions have been suggested on GE community which seem to work for a few distros. I tried them as follows but they don't appear to be applicable for CentOS:
- Launch qt4-qtconfig and set the font size: no such package available on my CentOS installation in the repositories.
- Change GoogleEarth Registry: no such directory on GE installation on my machine.
- Edit qt.conf file in GE directory: asks for the path of qt4. Even though qt4 is installed, I couldn't see its installation directory.

If anyone has successfully fixed this problem, please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kumar Vijay Mishra.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/02/24 22:19:39

[quote]
vizziee wrote:
Hello,

After a somewhat arduous experience, I could successfully install Google Earth 5 on my CentOS 5.3 machine (kernel 2.6.18-128.2.1.el5).
[/quote]
The current release is 5.4 - 5.3 is getting seriously obsolete with respect to security and bug fixes. An update following the procedure in section 4 of the [url=http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.4]CentOS 5.4 Release Notes[/url] is highly recommended to avoid glibc update problems.

[quote]
However the font size of the user interface is so small that I can barely read it. A little bit of digging into posts on Google Earth community tells that this problem is a common one on GE linux installations. Various solutions have been suggested on GE community which seem to work for a few distros. I tried them as follows but they don't appear to be applicable for CentOS:
- Launch qt4-qtconfig and set the font size: no such package available on my CentOS installation in the repositories.
- Change GoogleEarth Registry: no such directory on GE installation on my machine.
- Edit qt.conf file in GE directory: asks for the path of qt4. Even though qt4 is installed, I couldn't see its installation directory.
[/quote]
That one I can help with:[code]
rpm -ql qt4
[/code]
It also reveals:
/usr/bin/qtconfig4
/usr/lib/qt4/bin/qtconfig

vizziee

Re: Small font size in Google Earth

Post by vizziee » 2010/02/26 17:30:39

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
That one I can help with:[code]
rpm -ql qt4
[/code]
It also reveals:
/usr/bin/qtconfig4
/usr/lib/qt4/bin/qtconfig[/quote]

Thank you pschaff! This helped and I could get my font size back to normal on GE5.

Regards,

Kumar Vijay Mishra

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: Small font size in Google Earth

Post by pschaff » 2010/02/26 20:30:54

Glad that worked for you. May help me also if I find time to play with GE. Haven't looked at in in quite some time.