How install Xfce 4.4 on CentOS5??

General support questions including new installations
raymccoy

How install Xfce 4.4 on CentOS5??

Post by raymccoy » 2007/04/18 12:04:17

Hi,

can anybody make a small tutorial how to install Xfce 4.4 on CentOS 5?
I just installed CentOS the way described on
www.howtoforge.com ->The Perfect Setup - CentOS 5.0 (32-bit)
and now i want to have a graphical desktop which is small and quick

dlreid

Re: How install Xfce 4.4 on CentOS5??

Post by dlreid » 2007/04/20 18:24:34

I had the same issue. Here is how I handled it. I went to the xfce website and found this: http://www.xfce.org/documentation/installers/xfce/index.html
I downloaded the installer.run and ran it. It takes you through install xfce but does it from source so it does take quite a while to do all the compiles and installs but it does work. It tests for some required software at the beginning but it doesn't test for everything that it should. I had the install fail a few times and had to restart from the beginning. It did miss some things and I had to install the following )which it never caught until it was halfway through the install):
Using yum I had to install the "X Software Development" group, libxml-devel, and libSM-devel. I think I only had three "aborts" to add the following required packages but it does tell you in the error log if it does fail due to a package being missing.

In the end, I finally got a clean compile and install. It took a few hours due to having to restart the whole process three times but in the end, it worked and I do have XFCE running. Just be patient with the install... it estimates the install time badly at times and does seem to hang at times but just leave it... it will complete eventually.

Hope this helps.

David

dzver

Post by dzver » 2007/04/24 15:17:36

A bit more detailed howto (will save you hours of time finding the dependencies and recompiling).
This is intended (and tested) for clean install with CentOS5 (assumes installed only "base" from CD1).

Create install.sh file as follows:

-------------------
[code]#!/bin/sh

echo "---- Update the system (note: if kernel is updated you will have to reboot)"
yum -y update
echo ""
echo ""

echo "---- Ensure fastest mirror plugin is installed"
yum -y --enablerepo=extras install yum-fastestmirror yum-plugin-fastestmirror
echo ""
echo ""

echo "---- Install X Window System..."
yum -y groupinstall "X Window System"
echo ""
echo ""

echo "---- Install X Window library dependencies..."
yum -y install `yum search libX*-devel | grep base | awk "{ print \$1 }"`
echo ""
echo ""

echo "---- Install other dependencies... "
yum -y install vte-devel gcc gcc-c++ autoconf automake gettext gettext-devel libtool pkgconfig intltool libSM-devel startup-notification-devel
yum -y install libpng libpng-devel libjpeg libjpeg-devel libxkbfile cdrecord cdrdao mkisofs perl-XML-Parser
yum -y install libxkbfile-devel python python-devel dbus dbus-devel libXpm libXrender libXcomposite libXdamage libXfixes gdm cups cups-devel
yum -y install libxml2 libxml2-devel alsa-lib alsa-utils alsa-lib-devel libXinerama hal-devel dbus-glib-devel libusb-devel pcre-devel
echo ""
echo ""

echo "---- Install RPMForge repo (for taglib), and taglib itself"
rpm -Uhv http://apt.sw.be/packages/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm
yum -y install taglib-devel
echo ""
echo ""

echo "---- Download installers in /usr/src directory.... "
cd /usr/src
wget http://www.us.xfce.org/archive/xfce-4.4.0/installers/xfce4-4.4.0-installer.run
wget http://www.us.xfce.org/archive/xfce-4.4.0/installers/xfce-goodies-4.4.0-installer.run
wget http://www.us.xfce.org/archive/xfce-4.4.0/installers/Thunar-Bundle-0.8.0-installer.run
wget http://www.us.xfce.org/archive/xfce-4.4.0/installers/Thunar-0.8.0-installer.run
chmod +x xfce4-4.4.0-installer.run
chmod +x xfce-goodies-4.4.0-installer.run
chmod +x Thunar-Bundle-0.8.0-installer.run
chmod +x Thunar-0.8.0-installer.run
echo ""
echo ""

echo "---- Done."
echo "You must go into graphics mode (telinit 5 or better reboot in case of kernel update occured), "
echo " and from the default WM (twm on clean install) start installers from /usr/src ."
[/code]
-------------------

chmod +x the file, run it. It will install all dependencies and download installers for XFCE 4.4.0 .
Reboot in graphics mode (restart and telinit 5 if your default initlevel mode is not 5), run the installers (eventually from twm if no other environment is installed). All should compile cleanly.

Optionally, you may want to follow these steps after installation:

- Remove unnecessary *-devel packages to free disk space (this however will keep the kernel and gcc devel packages):
yum remove `yum list *-devel | grep installed | grep -v kernel | grep -v libstdc | grep -v glibc | awk "{ print \$1 }"`

- Download fonts and fix font bytecode rendering:
Create a file with the following content, chmod +x and run it:
-------------------
[code]cd /usr/src
wget http://www.osresources.com/files/centos-windows-fonts/msfonts.tbz

yum -y update freetype
yum -y install gcc-c++ rpm-build xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-devel xorg-x11-devel automake autoconf libtool zlib-devel libX11-devel
echo "---- Wait..."

mkdir -p /usr/src/redhat/SPECS

ARCH=`uname -i`
FILENAME=`yum list freetype | grep installed | awk "{ printf(\"%s%s\",\\$1 \\$2,\".src.rpm\") }" | sed "s/.$ARCH/-/"`

rm -f $FILENAME

wget ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client/en/os/SRPMS/$FILENAME

rpm -Uvh $FILENAME
sed -i 's/%define without_bytecode_interpreter 1/%define without_bytecode_interpreter 0/' /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/freetype.spec

cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
rpmbuild -ba freetype.spec

cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/$ARCH
rpm -Uvh --force *

cd /usr/src
mkdir /usr/share/fonts/TTF
tar xvjpf msfonts.tbz -C /usr/share/fonts/TTF/
rm -f msfonts.tbz*

echo ""
echo ""
echo "---- Done. "
echo "---- Make sure the directory /usr/share/fonts/TTF is listed as <dir> in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf !"
echo "---- Also, to avoid reverting at the next update, add/change the following line in /etc/yum.conf, "
echo " [main] section: 'exclude=freetype freetype-demos freetype-devel' "
echo "" [/code]
-------------------

Then you may need to fix your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and eventually install video drivers.

The only problem I noticed with me is thunar settings option from settings manager cannot be launched - complains something about d-bus. I do not know how to fix that.

If you want to install the XFCE 4.4.1 version, just change the links for downloading installer appropriately. I think XFCE 4.4.1 will work with most goodies installed using 4.4.0 goodie installer, but I am not sure whether it is stable.

dzver

Post by dzver » 2007/05/11 05:28:02

Decided to update if anyone uses this.

[quote]The only problem I noticed with me is thunar settings option from settings manager cannot be launched - complains something about d-bus. I do not know how to fix that[/quote]

The missing package is dbus-x11

[code]yum -y install dbus-x11[/code]