Putty problem

General support questions including new installations
muscles

Putty problem

Post by muscles » 2016/01/27 06:13:10

Dear All,

Hi

Hope you guys are doing great. I am trying to access my linux server from a windows PC using Putty. When I try to SSH into my server using Putty I get this message ' Software Caused Connection abort'. I thought the problem might be on server side. So I checked if SSH is running on the server or not. When I checked it says openssh is currently running. After that I thought I should restart SSH. When I typed in su to go in the root for restarting SSH I got the message Permission denied after entering my password.

Any thoughts of why I am getting this error. Also when I ping the server from my host computer I can ping it without any packet lose.

Please guide me how can I solve this issue. As I spent a lot of time trying to figure this thing out.

Regards

MartinR

Re: Putty problem

Post by MartinR » 2016/01/27 11:22:53

You may be confusing "su" and "sudo". With the latter you (normally) use your own password: the administrator has given you permission to perform a task, so you have to prove you are who you say you are. With the former you are asking to Set your Username (hence "su") to a particular user (typically root): if you want to become that user you need to prove that you can authenticate as that user.

In general though, a plain "su" is a bad idea. You will inherit the user's environment whilst running as root. You should always use "su -" which forces a loggin session, and the correct configuration for root is loaded.