Centos 5.8 32bit Kernel-PAE

General support questions including new installations
priestly

Centos 5.8 32bit Kernel-PAE

Post by priestly » 2016/01/11 10:18:07

Hi all,

I have recently installed CentOS 5.8 32bit on my VMWare player. The RAM configured is 2GB. I noticed that kernel-pae is not installed by default.

How does CentOS decide which kernel to be installed during new installation? Is it possible to configure CentOS to install kernel-pae during installation? I noticed that using the same DVD installer , kernel-pae is installed by default on physical server which has 4gb ram.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Centos 5.8 32bit Kernel-PAE

Post by TrevorH » 2016/01/11 11:33:07

A PAE kernel is only useful on machines with > 4GB RAM (maybe some corner cases make it useful at > 3.5GB but the gain might be offset by the performance degradation from using PAE). I do not know if the installer adjusts the kernel used based on the amount of RAM installed - I've not used a 32 bit distro since about 2008. From my vague recollection from that era, it did not install the PAE kernel on physical machines with > 4GB then, it was a post installation sysadmin task.

Please don't use 5.8 BTW. It's long long out of date and has numerous security vulnerabilities. Run yum update to get yourself up to 5.11.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke