HP Pavilion G Series trying to get past Grub Minimal

General support questions including new installations
RizalW

HP Pavilion G Series trying to get past Grub Minimal

Post by RizalW » 2015/09/24 22:20:01

Hello, so I have a major problem. I have a friend who said here, here's my hard drive and laptop (He handed them separate to me, no idea why), and asked me to format the hard drive and install a new OS. So I did that, I tested the hard drive, plugged it into a computer and formatted the drive. Then I discovered my issue.

First, he had CentOS5 installed on it, along with Windows 7, and was using Grubloader to switch upon bootup between the OS. Not a problem, but he apparently destroyed the Grubloader partition and the CentOS partition and now my formatting has completely wiped the hard drive. So my big problem is, how do I get past Grubloader minimal in order to put an OS on the laptop?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: HP Pavilion G Series trying to get past Grub Minimal

Post by TrevorH » 2015/09/24 23:27:29

If you are installing a new operating system on the machine then you need to be booting the install media for that operating system and that doesn't care about what's installed on the disk at the present time. It sounds more to me like you need to adjust the BIOS settings to force it to boot from the CD/DVD/USB device.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke