Can I change my interaface "p3pl" to "eth0"?

Issues related to configuring your network
scottro
Forum Moderator

Can I change my interaface "p3pl" to "eth0"?

Post by scottro » 2012/03/06 21:34:29

Wow, I can't believe that this one made it into CentOS--which means, it made it into RHEL.

Though some like it, others, like a commentor on slashdot, feel it's "overcomplicated and unnecessary". Not to mention whatever scripts it will break.

I'm not arrogant enough to believe that just because I dislike it doesn't mean it is definitely no good, but, at least unlike many Fedora inspired changes, it's easy enough to
change.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Re: Can I change my interaface "p3pl" to "eth0"?

Post by AlanBartlett » 2012/03/07 01:49:13

[quote]
System Administrators may disable this feature by passing "biosdevname=0" on the kernel command line.
[/quote]
From the link, posted by [b]Scott[/b], above.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Re: Can I change my interaface "p3pl" to "eth0"?

Post by scottro » 2012/03/07 12:56:41

In practice, if it's already installed, and you then wish to change it, I've found the easiest way to do it is the most obvious. In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, rename ifcfg- to ifcfg-eth. Change the name in that file as well.

I haven't found it necessary in Fedora to go into /etc/udev/rules.d, but haven't had this issue in CentOS, so not sure if editing is necessary there.

Once changes have been made, yum remove biosdevname.

Note that there is another link, where they list some of the comments. Again, while some do like it, judging from various things I've seen here and there, as well as conversations with others in the field the general consensus is more like the one mentioned in the other link about it.

[quote]
But the question is simple: Is a such little benefit worth of such huge bunch of stupid work for all Fedora users?
[/quote]
That link, which, to Fedora's credit, lists the main idea of the criticisms about this change, is at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming