[SOLVED] CentOS 6 minimal install NIC driver

Issues related to configuring your network
fireraisr

Post by fireraisr » 2011/11/17 19:18:27

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with the NIC driver that is installed by default in the minimal CentOS 6 build. My machine is a SuperMicro (X8SIL-V) v1.02 using the Intel 3420 chipset.

It doesn't matter whether the machine is configured with static or dhcp, I can't ping my default gateway with either setup. Also, dhcp fails to get an IP address about 50% of the time. After speaking with SuperMicro support I have an updated driver I can use but my problem is that it is in source format and the minimal install does not include the "make" command.

Every solution I have been able to find to resolve this uses yum to download make in some fashion, which is difficult given I can't connect to the internet. I have downloaded the make RPM but am unsure if it has any dependancies because "rpm -i " won't install it.

I am fairly new to linux so if I'm doing something wrong or you have any thoughts on how I should proceed from here I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

fireraisr

Re: CentOS 6 minimal install NIC driver [SOLVED]

Post by fireraisr » 2011/11/18 21:08:41

Hey guys,
Turns out the driver was the issue after all. Apparently there is a bug with the default driver for this chipset. I found a new driver in rpm at http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/17069954/dir/redhat_el_6/com/kmod-e1000e-1.6.2-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64.rpm.html

It worked like a charm. Just had to copy it over with a usb drive, install and reboot, network issue solved.

r_hartman

Post by r_hartman » 2011/11/21 10:12:08

Welcome to the CentOS fora.
As this is an ElRepo driver, you are likely better off installing the [url=http://elrepo.org/]ElRepo[/url] repository, so you will be getting updates if and when those are available.

Return to “CentOS 6 - Networking Support”