Deleting local lookup routing rule 0

Issues related to configuring your network
one-oh

Deleting local lookup routing rule 0

Post by one-oh » 2020/09/23 04:04:49

I have routing rules that I need to port from CentOS 7 to CentOS 6, but found the functionality is not supported on the version of CentOS 6 being used. In particular, the following fails with "Operation not permitted":

Code: Select all

ip rule del pref 0
This works on CentOS 7 and I'm wondering if there has been a fix in more recent versions of CentOS 6. I checked all of the Technical Release Notes on RedHat's website, but did not find any mention of this issue. I did find the following bug report, but it doesn't look like CentOS 6 was addressed:

Bug 1169874 - ip rule command allows to remove rule with priority 0

Assuming a bug fix has not been released, have any of you patched CentOS 6 to bring the bevavior in line with CentOS 7?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Deleting local lookup routing rule 0

Post by TrevorH » 2020/09/23 07:05:55

You only have less than 10 weeks before CentOS 6 goes EOL so it's probably better just to get on with your migration.

Also, I just read the bz you pointed to and my reading of that is that it was a change to the man page ip-rule to remove the documentation about it not a fix to allow it to work. The CentOS 7 iproute package changelog has this entry for it which seems to confirm that:

Code: Select all

* Thu Aug 04 2016 Phil Sutter <psutter@redhat.com> [3.10.0-72.el7]
- doc, man: ip-rule: Remove incorrect statement about rule 0 (Phil Sutter) [1362561]
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

one-oh

Post by one-oh » 2020/09/23 15:50:09

Migration is not an option unfortunately due to contractual obligations that are above my pay grade. Otherwise I'd be on board with that in a heartbeat.

That fix for the bug I linked to as you pointed out was to the documentation in the CentOS 7 baseline. In CentOS 7, it behaves differently and they updated the doc to reflect that. However the bug also mentions that it fails in CentOS6. I'm trying to ascertain whether CentOS 7 behavior was backported at some point to CentOS 6 along with the documentation update. A lengthy search yielded no evidence of that, so I'm going to just solve the problem I have with iptables instead.

Thanks for the input though.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/09/23 16:16:43

In less than 10 weeks time, CentOS 6 becomes unsupported and there will be no more security updates for it. It will steadily become more and more of a liability and you need to be planning to get rid of it otherwise you will end up becoming a new Equifax. If you need to continue to run it for any long period of time then I'd encourage you to pay for RHEL EUS subscription(s) and move your system(s) to RHEL as at least that will get security fixes after November.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke