Installing Boot time loadable drivers for Centos 6

Issues related to hardware problems
shekhar@f1nashik.com

Installing Boot time loadable drivers for Centos 6

Post by shekhar@f1nashik.com » 2014/10/20 12:50:15

Dear All
I had posted a problem related to IBM Server x3630M4 model 7158-09F. While installing I was having problem while installing Centos 5.4 & 6. The installation program failed to recognize 600GB x 5 hard disks connected to Serveraid M5110 Controller. It was exiting with no disks found.

I was advised to use Centos 6.5 ot 7 instead. But unfortunately due to some issues with application software it is not possible to use other versions of Centos.

Will it be possible to introduce a driver for Raid controller card while installing ? If so revert with procedure please.

Also , where can I get drivers ? IBM website has drivers for RHEL 5.4 and RHEL 6. I tried to use the RHEL 6 driver ( using 'linux dd' while installing ) but it does not recognize the driver disks. I unpacked the drivers and found that there are some .iso files there. I tried to mount these files using 'mount -o loop' but it fails with message no entry found in /etc/fastab and /etc/mnttab. May be these .iso files contain some drivers.
What kind of driver disks are required for such installaiton? What is the format ? Is it possible to create these disks using some linux machine alreayd running Centos? Let me know the procedure please.

Whoever

Re: Installing Boot time loadable drivers for Centos 6

Post by Whoever » 2014/10/21 03:21:55

According to this page:
http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/po ... 9524#DOCOS
Linux is not supported for this hardware.

Following the link for drivers from another page, they are distributing binary drivers for old versions of CentOS 6, which is not going to work. The drivers appear to be for LSI MegaRaid, which is supported in the kernel, but there may be variants in the Megaraid drivers, so that only the latest kernel will work with your hardware. Probably, the drivers have not been updated because they are included in later versions of CentOS.

Any software that works on CentOS 6 should work on 6.5. Similarly, any software that works on 5.4 should work on 5.11. 5.4 is (like 6) an old and insecure version of CentOS. You don't want to run insecure versions of the OS do you?