automatic update centos 6.5

Issues related to applications and software problems
Ainsofaur

automatic update centos 6.5

Post by Ainsofaur » 2021/05/27 18:49:47

Hello everybody.
I’m working with a Centos 6.5 server which for security reasons does not have an internet connection. I would like to connect it to the internet temporarily to install a tool, but colleagues don't want it because the automatic update could start and cause compatibility and dependency issues. I searched and it seems that the centos 6.x versions do not have automatic update, this is true?
How can I be sure?
Eventually how do I disable it?
Thanks!

tunk

Re: automatic update centos 6.5

Post by tunk » 2021/05/28 15:25:24

Do a web search with these keywords: centos 6 automatic updates
It should be possible to install packages without connecting to the net.
If you download and transfer the rpm, you should be able to check
which dependencies it has. Maybe do a web search with this:
rpm install check dependencies

MartinR

Post by MartinR » 2021/05/28 15:33:15

If your machine is not allowed to connect to the internet for security reasons, then you probably shouldn't do it, ever. If you are running a 6.5 machine you shouldn't connect to the internet, ever.

Do as Tunk suggests (btw, Tunk is a long term contributor to this forum and knows what he's talking about). Download the rpm on another machine, copy it to USB (or burn a CD/DVD) and mount it read-only. If you mount a USB stick (or disk) r/w and your machine has pressing "security reasons", then you should assume that the USB now contains sensitive material and should be kept with the isolated machine or destroyed.

If you have a security officer, now's the time to talk to them!

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2021/05/28 15:46:58

CentOS 6 is dead and you need to replace it. The latest and last version was 6.10 and that went EOL in November 2020. There are already serious exploitable vulnerabilities that will never be fixed in CentOS 6 that allow any local user to gain root within seconds. CentOS 6.5 is worse still since it hasn't been patched since 2013.

On CentOS 6 the automatic update process is called yum-cron and if that is not installed then it cannot run. In addition, since CentOS 6 went EOL in November, all of its contents was removed from mirror.centos.org so it is not possible to update it anyway unless you edit the .repo files and point them to vault.centos.org instead of mirror.centos.org.

Bottom line, you need to start looking at replacing this system with something that's under maintenance. It's already a security liability (yes, I understand that it's not connected but that's what Equifax thought too and look where that got them!).
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Ainsofaur

Post by Ainsofaur » 2021/05/30 09:25:49

tunk wrote:
2021/05/28 15:25:24
Do a web search with these keywords: centos 6 automatic updates
It should be possible to install packages without connecting to the net.
If you download and transfer the rpm, you should be able to check
which dependencies it has. Maybe do a web search with this:
rpm install check dependencies
I have already searched, the rpm of the tool I need does not exist.