Centos 6.4 and teamviewer

Issues related to applications and software problems
maxdubois

Post by maxdubois » 2013/08/26 17:37:55

Hello that such I am new to LINUX / CENTOS XRPD I managed to run to enable remote desktop, but difficult to find a way to make it in CENTOS 6.4. It all started when wanting to install teamviewer but I only could connect remotely when a session was open (because when the team if this team showed online but stayed in connecting ...), I never could connect and see the login screen of centos, is possible to use teamviewer to access the login screen of centos? Or any other software that allows me to connect and logged in to centos through the WAN? Try also according to GDM but had no success. I need something like teamviewer and I am working on a cluster and proxy HA for MariaDB, and as the nodes are located in distant physical locations with dedicated Internet independently for each physical location. Then I need to connect remotely / maybe if you need to restart the computer, maintain etc without the intervention of any person on the remote computer.
Greetings thanks

abednegoyulo

Post by abednegoyulo » 2013/08/27 05:45:12

I use plain old SSH on my machines that have public IPs. For me it's faster (the response time) than with any remote GUI. For the machines that needs GUI (virt-manager), I use X11 forwarding. Only if the remote machine does not have a public IP do I use TeamViewer. You may also want to try [url=http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX]FreeNX[/url] but I haven't used it so I cannot comment on its performance.

roscopcoltrane

Re: Centos 6.4 and teamviewer

Post by roscopcoltrane » 2013/08/30 09:03:16

Use freenx. It is based on ssh, if you can login with ssh on a machine, then freenx will work on it.

Be aware that freenx was once free but is now closed souce, and the open source version is not that much maintained (meaning: enjoy it as long as it works).

Centos should provide you with the server part: "nx" and "freenx" packages. Install both with their dependancies, then run a

"nxsteup --install --setup-nomachine-key"

This will make sure that you can connect with the official nxclient downloaded from http://www.nomachines.com. You can also use the opennx client, but I haven't tested it very much. Connect with your user credentals, then you can either logout or disconnect from it (like when you use "screen" and detach from it). It offers good performances.

important: make sure you use the version 3 of the official client. The version 4 won't work with freenx.