RPM install help requested - Apache MySql and PHP

Issues related to applications and software problems
jack616

Post by jack616 » 2011/09/14 14:42:55

I have the Centos 6 DVD but am having trouble installing a full set of applications
Apache - MySQL and PHP

I can't use YUM as the server is not allowed to connect to the internet.

I installed the "server" version but it had no PHP and didnt install other stuff I wanted
So I installed the desktop version and manually was able (with difficulty) to get PHP installed
for CLI use (it works fine that way) but I cant see
1. How to get PHP to install into Apache (which installed with the main install) I've read the docs but can't work it out
2. Get MySql to install for Apache use

I may have a further problem in that the RPM program keeps telling me to use YUM (I think) because
its cache needs refreshing? (I only just downloaded the whole DVD) I can install RPM's but is this
going to be an issue for me too? I thought I could use that off a DVD repository?

Any help with the above would be appreciated.
(I'm happy to do a clean install again if I have to)

thanks
jack

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2011/09/14 14:56:40

Use yum with c6-media.

markkuk

Re: RPM isntall help requested - Apache MySql and PHP

Post by markkuk » 2011/09/14 14:56:48

[quote]
jack616 wrote:
I can't use YUM as the server is not allowed to connect to the internet.[/quote]
You can use yum by eanbling the c6-media repository and disabling all others.

[quote]
1. How to get PHP to install into Apache (which installed with the main install) I've read the docs but can't work it out
2. Get MySql to install for Apache use[/quote]
[code]yum install php php-mysql[/code]

jack616

Re: RPM isntall help requested - Apache MySql and PHP

Post by jack616 » 2011/09/14 15:42:23

Sorry if this posts twice - the post and reply buttons keep vanishing (just the graphic) - no idea why

Anyway - thanks for the quick replies -

From this I tracked down the gpk-repo command but it refuses to select any repos at all
So I tried gpk-log and that gave a warning - config file missing

On the assumption I broke something when I manually installed RPM's I will re-install
C6 again.

I will return later if I still have the issue.
Thanks again

jack

kmuzheri

Re: RPM install help requested - Apache MySql and PHP

Post by kmuzheri » 2011/09/15 13:06:43

I am not sure how others have experienced it, however, from my own experience I would suggest you use RPMs. I have attempted to install LAMP using the default packages that come with the DVDs for CentOS 5.4, 5.5, 5.6 and 6.0. In all cases I have observed that:
1. The packages install just fine
2. When php has been installed and you perform the command
rpm -q php
it would claim to be successfully installed. However, when you attempt to invoke it using phpinfo(), using Apache (http 2) as the web-server, it fails to perform. I have in many instances attempted to configure it, but all the config files (php.ini, httpd.conf) would be well. Finally I have always turned to php53 either using YUM or manually installing RPMs, because the default packages dont seem to be readily usable.

Since you state that you can use YUM, I would suggest you try it manually using RPMs. I know the dependency issues will catch up with you and its tedious, but its the only guaranteed way if you are not online with YUM. I have made it a habit to keep bunches of RPMs to software that I constantly require and this has proved to be dependable for the long run. For example, if you do another fresh installation, the RPMs will be there to your quick rescue (offcourse, if you cant be online with YUM).

Hope it helps