Yumex does not run?

Issues related to applications and software problems
louarnold

Yumex does not run?

Post by louarnold » 2011/09/01 17:24:41

Yumex does not appear to run.

I just installed V6, let it update, and installed Yumex. I went to Add/Remove software and both Yum , Yumex and several other packages seem to be there.

When I installed Yumex, two more packages (one was python-kitchen) were also installed. I then rebooted the system, but still no sign of it starting.

I looked around to the yumex folders and I tried to open "/usr/share/yumex/yumex.pyc" and received the message "There is no application installed for Python bytecode files. So it appears that the installtion is missing something.

louarnold

Re: Yumex does not run?

Post by louarnold » 2011/09/02 00:10:36

I have discovered that on CentOS V6, you cannot run yumex as root. You can override this by going to the Terminal window and entering "yumex --root". I tried running it without the --root parameter and got the error message that "its dangerous".

I must again, say that its time system designers stopped controlling what Administrators do normally all day for years. Having it blocked is not just a nuisance is an afront to our intelligence.

A work-around to start Yumex from the menu bar (panel) can be created as follows:
1. Go to Applications>System Tools> (right-click) Yum Extender, and select "Add this launcher to panel"
2. At the panel, right-click on the Yumex icon, and select Properties.
3. In the Command field, append " --root" (don't forget the space).
4. Click Close button.
5. Click on the icon to start Yumex.

This thread hs been resolved, but if anyone has a better solution, please post it here.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Yumex does not run?

Post by pschaff » 2011/09/14 14:43:36

My solution would be (and is) not to run a GUI as root as it is [b]much[/b] too dangerous. The recommended practice (as reflected by the approach you note the developers of yumex have followed) is to log in as a normal user and [url=http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BecomingRoot]become root[/url] as required.

As yumex is not part of CentOS-6 I presume you have installed the one from EPEL which does prompt for the root password as required when run from an unprivileged user account.