Munin, how to show only interesting graphs?

Issues related to applications and software problems
sblantipodi

Post by sblantipodi » 2011/08/04 20:29:32

Hi,
I installed munin from epel.

It show me hundreds of graphs of annoying statistics.
I would like to show only one page with some graphs only:
CPU, IO, Traffic, Memory Utilization, Disk Utilization.
and than divide this graph for daily, weekly, monthly, yearly.

How can I do that?

h_fat

Post by h_fat » 2011/08/05 07:01:59

Look in /etc/munin/plugins/ on your node (the box reporting stats which is not necessarily the same as the one displaying them).
You can simply delete stuff you don't want from there and munin will stop collecting and displaying the relevant statistics. These files are only symlinks and you can recreate them wherever you want. You may have to restart munin-node after deleting the plugins.

If that's not what you wanted, there are also ways to fine-tune what is displayed and to collect statistics without displaying them automatically.

sblantipodi

Re: Munin, how to show only interesting graphs?

Post by sblantipodi » 2011/08/05 10:23:15

the problem is that I cannot understand how to fine tune the single plugin.

For example the diskstats plugin show me many boring graphs like disk IO per device, disk latency per device etc etc.

suppose that I want to log and displays only the Disk throughput per device, how can I do that?

Thanks.

h_fat

Re: Munin, how to show only interesting graphs?

Post by h_fat » 2011/08/05 11:15:45

It seems to me the most sensible way to do that would be to edit the plugin.
Instead of editing, you may copy it and edit the copy if you want to keep the stock plugin intact.

If you only want to disable some graphs but still collect the data (which allows you to set up alerts for isntance), the option "graph no" should do the trick.
I suppose you'd disable a graph that way:

multigraph ${plugin_name}_latency
graph_title Disk latency per device
[b]graph no[/b]
graph_args --base 1000
graph_vlabel Average IO Wait (seconds)

Or you could remove all the code related to the graphs you don't want, which would be better from a performance perspective.

In any case this is a question which has nothing to do with CentOS so you may get better results by asking the munin folks. I very rarely edit munin plugins.

Note that munin has a plugin database which is considerably larger than what is in the package. There may be a plugin there which suits your purpose better than the one which comes in the EPEL package. In that case you could simply download it and add it to your plugins directory.