AWS EC2 CentOS 6.10 with ENA support

General support questions
thatotherguy

AWS EC2 CentOS 6.10 with ENA support

Post by thatotherguy » 2021/07/12 15:13:00

Hey my friends.

We have an old CentOS 6.10 production web server. We have an Amazon Linux 2 version in the works with latest versions of Apache, Amazon Aurora, and PHP 7.4, however due to a recent incident with our current cloud provider my company wants to try to move our current CentOS 6.10 server to AWS as is before then.

Ideally I would simply take some kind of snapshot of my production instance and create my own AMI from it? Is this possible? Is there a cookbook for doing this anywhere? With this approach I believe I can simply follow the instructions to install the AWS ENA drivers myself, correct?

The other alternative would be to take an existing AMI that either has ENA support or I can modify to have ENA support, however that seems very hard to come by without a paid AMI that comes bundled with technical support we don't need.

I'm still somewhat new to AWS service components, so I'm hoping someone more experienced than me can offer some advice.

UPDATE:
Although I went through the process of building my own AMI from scratch using the CentOS 6.10 ISO and my own VM, I ended up working closely with Andrew at Technology Leadership Corporation to create an AWS Marketplace image with ENA support. In case anyone is interested this is the link https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/p ... duct_title and he only charges $0.01/hr (or around $80/yr), so a good interim fit for our company until we upgrade.

All the best.