Trying to boot from CD to install but having issues

General support questions
AFK_Matrix

Trying to boot from CD to install but having issues

Post by AFK_Matrix » 2021/05/06 14:55:32

Hi,

So I am setting up a PC with 2 HDDs and Windows 10 is installed on one. I know need to install CentOS 6.4 on the second HDD.

So I have an old bootable CD which is disk 1 of the installation. It should boot up into the table that asks how you want to install CentOS. But when I boot the PC a Grub menu appears with the options of CentOS 6.4 / Install with limited graphics / rescue. If you choose any of these options, several penguin pictures appear at the top of the screen (what on earth is that about??!) and then lots of tiny lines of code start to scroll up the screen and it keeps doing this and nothing else.

Is the cd corrupt or something? Is it worth downloading disk 1 iso again and trying that? Any help would be great as I am trying to get this sorted for work.

Kind regards,

AFK_Matrix

tunk

Re: Trying to boot from CD to install but having issues

Post by tunk » 2021/05/06 15:17:25

Would it be an alternative to install it as a VM?
You can download ISOs here:
https://vault.centos.org/6.4/isos/x86_64/

And I'm sure you know 6.4 has years of accumulated
security problems?

AFK_Matrix

Post by AFK_Matrix » 2021/05/06 15:21:57

Hi tunk,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately a VM is out of the question due to the way legacy software will work and use the CentOS install.

And again I do know CentOS 6 is very much out of date but again due to the legacy software being used it is easier to install 6 instead of having to go through a testing process to see if the legacy software would work with the latest CentOS version. The one good thing is it is a stand alone system so no access to the internet at all.

Any other suggestions?

tunk

Post by tunk » 2021/05/06 16:00:21

Isn't there a "verify and boot" option at the start of the installation?
https://www.tecmint.com/centos-6-10-installation-guide/
Or just create a new CD/DVD.

Edit: Looks like 6.4 doesn't have this option.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2021/05/06 17:08:03

I know need to install CentOS 6.4 on the second HDD
Really? I struggle to find any reason for installing something that is a) from 2013-02-21 and b) EOL for more than 6 months even in its latest and last incarnation as 6.10.

It's dead and should not be used. It already has at least one high severity unfixed vulnerability in the latest version that grants instant root access to anyone that cares to exploit it. That will never be fixed by CentOS. And 6.4 is worse, much worse. Going to https://access.redhat.com/errata and listing errata for RHEL 6 and telling it to show me only critical security vulnerabilities shows me over 200 of them since 2013 and 2013 starts somewhere through the 3rd page so that number is really higher than 200.

So easier maybe. Until you get compromised and whatever it is that you're using it for gets stolen and distributed across the internet.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

narisking

Post by narisking » 2021/12/28 19:59:34

AFK_Matrix wrote:
2021/05/06 14:55:32
Hi,

So I am setting up a PC with 2 HDDs and Windows 10 is installed on one. I know need to install CentOS 6.4 on the second HDD.

So I have an old bootable CD which is disk 1 of the installation. It should boot up into the table that asks how you want to install CentOS. But when I boot the PC a Grub menu appears with the options of CentOS 6.4 / Install with limited graphics / rescue Mostenirea. If you choose any of these options, several penguin pictures appear at the top of the screen (what on earth is that about??!) and then lots of tiny lines of code start to scroll up the screen and it keeps doing this and nothing else.

Is the cd corrupt or something? Is it worth downloading disk 1 iso again and trying that? Any help would be great as I am trying to get this sorted for work.

Kind regards,

AFK_Matrix
One of the possible situations is that your PC can't start up at all, and of couse it won't boot from CD.

In this case, you need to check if the power is connected properly and the power plug is usable.

If you have a desktop, make sure the power button is switched on and the power supply at the back of its case is set at On position.

If it still doesn't power on at all, there are chances that a power cable is disconnected in its cabinet.