Salt stack packages in official CentOS channels

General support questions
aadhikari

Salt stack packages in official CentOS channels

Post by aadhikari » 2020/07/15 20:10:33

Is there an official CentOS channel for salt stack packages? I do not see salt packages available in pools and updates channels for CentOS 6. If not, what would be considered a "centos official" channel for salt packages? I am asking this question because there are a lot of python dependencies for salt, and wouldn't want python installed from centos channels to break after salt installation.

Thanks

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Salt stack packages in official CentOS channels

Post by TrevorH » 2020/07/15 21:49:58

There are salt packages in the EPEL yum repository but I'm not sure how recent they are. If you intend to run salt then you will want to be on pretty much the latest version as they've had at least 2 major blunders in their ssh code since 2017, one of them only a month or so ago. The EPEL version is 2015.5.10-2.

If those are not good enough then you probably need to find a yum repo managed by salt themselves and designed specifically for CentOS/RHEL 6.

Obligatory warning: CentOS 6 goes out of support entirely in roughly 4 months time so you will want to be planning your migration away from it yesterday.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke