yum command is crashing (segmentation fault)

General support questions
karan-k1110

yum command is crashing (segmentation fault)

Post by karan-k1110 » 2020/04/02 08:01:38

Hey,

I have a CentOS 6.6 Server,

Everything was working fine but recently when I try yum command such as yum update yum command crashes straight away and gives segementation fault (core dumped).

I have tried to look for a solution everywhere but nothing helped.

Thankyou

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: yum command is crashing (segmentation fault)

Post by TrevorH » 2020/04/02 08:35:18

It's very likely this is an old problem that you would not be suffering if you kept your system up to date! There is no real excuse for being on CentOS 6.6 which is from 2014 so you've been without security fixes for over 6 years!

Try this as root

NSS_DISABLE_HW_AES=1 yum update
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

karan-k1110

Post by karan-k1110 » 2020/04/02 09:31:22

Hey,
It is not my server, it is my company's server, I'm just an employee who has been given this fixing task
I tried the command you gave,
It still shows Segmentation Fault (Core Dumped)

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/04/02 11:56:50

In which case, given that CentOS 6 has a very limited lifespan (it dies in November this year), you might want to look at abandoning the current effort and putting that into setting up a parallel system on a newer version and migrating your apps over. That's the long term and more viable solution.

If you need to continue then I would suggest that you need much more information than you have now and that will probably involve either runing it under a debugger or checking to see what other problems you have. You could start with running rpm -Va to verify that the files owned by all packages installed on the system match the checksums stored by rpm. It will normally produce a fairly long list of things but most of those should be things that get changed like config files. If you see libraries and executables listed then those would point to someone having done source installs over the top of the packages and breaking them or to your server having been compromised and binaries replaced by hackers. Since your server hasn't been patched in 6 years and is extremely insecure as a result, that is unfortunately a real possibility.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke