how to add usb internet adapter for centos 6

General support questions
ethio

how to add usb internet adapter for centos 6

Post by ethio » 2020/03/31 15:11:05

hello everyone!
any one who can help me to install SR9800 USB Ethernet Adapter on centos 6 if any one help me i will pay for his time through paypal thanks
[email removed]

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: how to add usb internet adapter for centos 6

Post by TrevorH » 2020/03/31 16:03:17

Please don't solicit advice and offer payment as it's pretty much an invitation to get ripped off. I have removed your email address from your post.

You should be aware that CentOS 6 goes end of life in approximately 6 months and you shouldn't be deploying it anywhere new.

You don't supply enough detail in your post for anyone to be able to help you. The string 'sr9800' doesn't appear anywhere in either /usr/share/hwdata/{usb,pci}.ids so it's not possible to tell what it is. Please post the output from lspci -nn or lsusb.py that apply to the adapter in question and maybe someone can help you. It's more likely that you will find a working driver on a newer operating system than CentOS 6 which is nearly 10 years old and has limited support for things that have been invented since then.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

ethio

Post by ethio » 2020/03/31 17:03:09

Thanks for your replay I’m newbie in Linux and my Centos 6.8 so my point is
I have static ip internet with one cable I use it for centos server in this case I can’t use the internet once it’s plugged to centos so I need to use my centos like router to give internet for other devices (SR 9800) is usb to rj45 adapter see https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AM ... UTF8&psc=1
So I want to use this adapter to get internet if u have other solution please share thanks 🙏

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/03/31 17:51:41

CentOS 6.8 is ancient and dates back to 2016. 6.10 is current and you should be updating more regularly than every 4 years. I'd suggest every 4 days is more reasonable! And again, it DIES in about 6 months and there will be no more support for it. Using 6.8 as an internet facing security product is a disastrous idea, do not do it.

I cannot tell you if that has any support just by looking at a web page. We'd need the USB vendor and device ids to be able to say.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke