Slow Boot Process

General support questions
ultracentos

Slow Boot Process

Post by ultracentos » 2020/01/02 16:28:58

Gateway machine 1-GiB memory. Running centOS 6.10-i686 No Blue Tooth/No Raid. Is it possible to shut down some services and eliminate some of the start up time associated with such services to decrease boot-up time?
Just happy to be here :D

cheers

Gateway-centOS-6.10-i686

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Slow Boot Process

Post by TrevorH » 2020/01/02 16:37:49

You can certainly disable any unnecessary services that you may have installed. Use chkconfig to list them and to enable/disable any that you do not require. Be aware that some things that you do not necessarily recognise may still be required for a normal boot to complete so I would recommend stopping those manually on the running system before you turn them off and reboot - that way if it goes wrong you can easily start them back up again.

You might also want to look at reinstalling on a newer versison. CentOS 6 goes EOL this year so you only have 11 months of life left anyway. One of the major changes in CentOS 7 was the introduction of systemd and that is significantly quicker at shutdown and startup than 6 ever was. It's also in CentOS 8. You might need something a bit bigger than a 32 bit 1GB machine though as both are 64 bit distro's though there is a "community supported" 32 bit intel version of 7 (but not 8).
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

ultracentos

Re: Slow Boot Process

Post by ultracentos » 2020/01/11 05:37:49

TrevorH

Thanks indeed for your post. Followed your suggestions, and (perhaps) realized a slight decrease in boot time. I'm generally very pleased with centos-6.10 and enjoy working with it. I think in the beginning - I tried to load centos-7 but the machine would not boot. At the same time, a minimal iso of centos-6.0 was available which allowed the installation of centos, and eventually I upgraded to centos-6.10. I've got a newer 64-Bit machine with several distros installed, however, I prefer to work with the old Gateway and centOS.

Regards

Wayne
Just happy to be here :D

cheers

Gateway-centOS-6.10-i686