CentOS 6.5 Crashes Repeatedly, While 6.4 Has Been Stable

General support questions
easycity

CentOS 6.5 Crashes Repeatedly, While 6.4 Has Been Stable

Post by easycity » 2014/01/19 22:12:00

Hi,
I have used CentOS 6.4 on my Lenovo TS130 for the last several months without rebooting and without any problem.
After I have a clean install of CentOS 6.5 on another hard disk drive, it seems fine for several days. Strange things happened after I started to use the latest version of VirtualBox. It repeatedly crashed with some error message on a black screen. Before I can take note of the error message, it started to reboot. Even after I stopped using VirtualBox, I still woke up with a rebooted CentOS 6.5.
Now I started to use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a separate hard disk drive, and it runs very stable for several days already. Under Ubuntu, I checked the hard drive that ran CentOS 6.5, and did not found anything.

I had used CentOS on and off for the last decade. It is the first time on CentOS 6.5 that I found CentOS crashing once a day on average. It was a big surprise to me.

vonskippy

Re: CentOS 6.5 Crashes Repeatedly, While 6.4 Has Been Stable

Post by vonskippy » 2014/01/19 23:55:56

easycity wrote:Now I started to use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a separate hard disk drive, and it runs very stable for several days already. Under Ubuntu, I checked the hard drive that ran CentOS 6.5, and did not found anything.
Not exactly comparing Apples to Apples are you?

Download the hard drive manufactures (you know, the hard drive you're actually trying to run CentOS on) and run the thorough diag's on that drive.
For the 2.5^15th time :: Better Details = Better Answers

easycity

Post by easycity » 2014/01/20 18:44:25

Thanks vonskippy for pointing out the possibility of corrupt hard drive.
The problem is that Seagate and Western Digital does not release diagnostic software for Linux, only for Windows and DOS. I will have to take out the disk drives and connect them to my Windows machine. That is opening up two machines and major work to test these hard drives.
Is there a Linux way to test hard disks?

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2014/01/20 19:52:07

They supply diagnostic CDs.
Boot the CD and run the diagnostics.

vlayne

Post by vlayne » 2014/01/21 03:39:20

Hey easycity,

If you dont see anything wrong with the Hard drive, try testing your memory to see if that is the problem. I am running CentOS 6.5 after an upgrade from 6.4. No issues were found.

I would also like to know if you tried using an older kernel (press arrow key downwards in grub) and upgrading VBox to see what happens? Does it still crash? What does dmesg say ? If you can't see what it says in runlevel 5, you can try booting into single mode and run dmesg.

easycity

Memory and Hard Drive Tested Without Problem. Ubuntu Freeze

Post by easycity » 2014/01/30 12:54:23

Hi,
I mounted another hard disk and run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
Ubuntu 12.04 also repeatedly froze and required hardware reset. I installed all the patches, stopped using Google Chrome, without any effect. I am thinking switching the kernel scheduler to "deadline", as suggested by some forum posts. But that is a separate issue for Ubuntu.
I used Ubuntu Memtest86 to scan my 12 G memory more than two times, without finding any problem.
I used Ubuntu Disk Utility and self-tested all the hard drives, including the OS drive for CentOS 6.5. It was reported as healthy. The "read error rate" is around several million. So I would assume that the hard disk is not the most likely problem.

The strange thing is that my Lenovo TS 130 had been running CentOS 6.4 continuously for several months in the past. I simply cannot imagine hardware problems due to something other than RAM and Hard Drive.

Perhaps I can switch back to CentOS 6.4, and see if the hardware is still good.

easycity

Most likely due to Kingston Memory gone bad after half a yea

Post by easycity » 2014/03/03 18:02:21

I mounted a separate disk and run Windows 8.1. The problem stayed the same, freezing or automatic rebooting every day or every other day. Since the OS is Windows, I ran Lenovo Solution Center, a software that runs MemTest and SMARTDATA HDD Test. Everything looks fine.
Out of desperation, I pulled out the Kingston 8G Memory that had been running flawlessly for more than half an year, leaving only the Hynix 4G memory installed at the factory. Now the machine seems to be much more stable. I will keep counting the number of days it does not crash. Now I have a feeling that mostly likely the crash is caused by the degenerating Kingston 8G memory.
It also occurred to me that I repeatedly run MemTest under different OSes. Once overnight under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. MemTest failed to detect any problem.
I am contact Kingston to carry out the lifetime warranty on its RAM.

Return to “CentOS 6 - General Support”