Release schedule plan for CentOS stream?

Comments, suggestions, compliments, etc
sonnet

Release schedule plan for CentOS stream?

Post by sonnet » 2022/01/27 14:12:28

Hi all, I have searched over the net without finding the answer to the following questions (could be me being an idiot), so I decided to ask here hoping somebody could clarify it:
1-Is there a sort or release schedule (even if approximate without fixed dates)? I.E like a new point release every 6 months
2-My understanding from what I have read is that StreamOS will follow behind Fedora. Does this mean that the version 9.1 will have the package?
3-Are the packages used for Centos stream the same from Fedora? I've read somewhere that Centos packages are compiled with the x86-64 flag, while Fedora ones are compiled with i686 flag. If that's true then I guess the packages are not the same

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Release schedule plan for CentOS stream?

Post by TrevorH » 2022/01/27 15:56:34

1-Is there a sort or release schedule (even if approximate without fixed dates)? I.E like a new point release every 6 months
There are no point releases.
2-My understanding from what I have read is that StreamOS will follow behind Fedora. Does this mean that the version 9.1 will have the package?
Almost certainly not. I think your understanding is flawed there. CentOS Stream 8 is a "preview" of what may or may not be coming to the next point release of RHEL 8. CentOS Stream 9 is allegedly an intermediate between Fedora 34 and the next major version of RHEL which will be 9. There is some confusion there as RHEL 9 beta also exists and is receiving fixes that haven't yet made it into Stream 9. I believe the next time Fedora will influence Stream will be in 3 years time when they start to build the o/s that will be RHEL 10.
3-Are the packages used for Centos stream the same from Fedora?
No idea, you'd have to download the spec files for a similar version of a representative sample of packages for both and diff them to find out. And that won't really tell you because some of the build options will be set via rpmrc.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

sonnet

Re: Release schedule plan for CentOS stream?

Post by sonnet » 2022/01/27 17:06:56

Thanks a lot for all the clarifications