Support for Linux Newbies

Comments, suggestions, compliments, etc
gisgems

Post by gisgems » 2006/07/04 02:53:01

Hello All,

I am a newbie to Linux. CentOS was recommended by a friend that is a user and supporter of CentOS. I have installed CentOS on my Acer laptop and am very happy with the exception of the fact that neither the sound nor the wireless function. I started looking over the CentOS website for some assistance in this area and was distributed my what I saw. In one of the forums someone had posted a request for assistance with similar problems and the reply that that individual was totally unprofessional and uncalled for. Basically, the reply told the individual to give up on CentOS at this time and go and run Fedora and come back after they gained experience with Linux. I would like to know if this is the position of the CentOS support team.

calande

Post by calande » 2006/07/23 16:49:45

I don't think so. The team of this forum has been helpful and kind to help me :-)
I guess, as long as you do your own research prior to asking, no one will treat you bad.

locutius

Re: Support for Linux Newbies

Post by locutius » 2006/07/23 20:12:56

i understand why the reply was leave CentOS alone and go play with FC. and i understand it is genuinely very good advice for you and your machine. your friend did not give you good advice

CentOS is an enterprise operating system derived from RHEL4 and as such is best suited for a production server environment NOT a multimedia desktop

FC is the bleeding edge of application development in linux distro's and has much multimedia services and experimentation going on and will make your laptop sing

if you are coming from the Windows world of one flavour suits all, but none very well, then you might at first be confused that an off-the-shelf distro does not give you everything that you are looking for. welcome to a world of intelligent computing where what you get depends upon what you personally bring to the party

my advice is go install FC5 and use this tutorial to setup your machine http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html .... by the time you have finished the setup you will know more than a little something about a linux distro

you are obviously in a learning curve and everyone in the linux community will be very pleased to help. i expect when you know more you will never return to CentOS and put it on a multimedia laptop, and you can then give your friend some pointers

EDIT PS. i run CentOS 4.3 x86_64 on my multi-processor production servers and FC4 on my home desktops