Walking into the light-- Kudos to the CentOS team.

Comments, suggestions, compliments, etc
Hell_MINTH

Walking into the light-- Kudos to the CentOS team.

Post by Hell_MINTH » 2006/01/28 02:21:02

I just wanted to let you Linux-heads know that you've found a new convert from the Microsoft world.

After shelling out more than 15,000 dollars on software alone during a network install for a small business client of mine, I decided to download Linux and give it a go (mainly to compare the LAMP server against IIS/MS-SQL, and against Windows-based Apache Servers -- I'm an MCSA). For the last two months, I have been sitting at the CentOS box like a crackhead, toying around with init scripts, rpm's, MySQL, PHP, and the like. CentOS 4.2 has been running on my spare P4 box for about two months now, serving up Web Pages and taking forms like a pro. Crashes = zero. Trojans = zero. DOS's = zero.

After installing CentOS (which was surprisingly easy), I found the X-windows system (KDE) to be far more user friendly than I'd expected. It is still rather difficult for me to wrap my mind around the idea of using flat-text scripts to boot the OS, rather than the registry, but I'm finding that I like the level of control that Linux allows.-->

CASE IN POINT:
If I want iptables to boot in X windows, I go to [i] /etc/rc.d/rc5.dx [/i] and rename the iptables script. If I want to stop my firewall in windows, I have to check the [i] hkey_local_machine/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run [/i] key in the registry (and then the [i] hkey_local_machine/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/runOnce [/i] key and the [i] hkey_local_machine/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/runonceEx [/i] key) to ensure that the firewall isn't there, then I have to go to the mmc and make sure that it isn't running as a service, then I have to check each god****ed user's startup folder to make sure that it isn't running there (assuming non-domain member workstations, for simplicity). Of course, this hypothetical process assumes that the program I'm trying to change at boot is NOT malware, which is sometimes hidden in literally dozens of keys, startup folder batch files, and hidden services.

Just wanted to thank the CentOS team for putting out one h**l of a great distribution. It's people like you that keep computing fun.

Lenard

Re: Walking into the light-- Kudos to the CentOS team.

Post by Lenard » 2006/01/28 18:54:11

No editing required; service iptables stop[start]

See 'man services' for the details and while you at it 'man chkconfig' both without the single quotemarks.

w5set

Re: Walking into the light-- Kudos to the CentOS team.

Post by w5set » 2006/02/04 22:57:18

Here's a list of commands available to Linux--not all are implemented in Centos or are outdated.
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/linux/cmd/
Here's a list of Man pages for some of the commands , if you just want to use a webpage to read them--although it's easier and faster to just enter
man "command" in a terminal--but whatever you want/need.
http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?db=man&coll=linux&pth=/man1
My old XP hard drive --which is not even in this computer now--has a "registry" dating back to Win95 at least--it's a curious hodgepodge of conflicting trash that is damn near impossible to remove all of the inferrences to some of the apps/programs due to the shotgun scattering of the Win Registry writing throughout the whole $%%$ thing--users--admin--"others".
Removing a "user" in windoze doesn't necesarily sanitize the registry. Removing an application almost NEVER sanitizes the reg...
I would say--"I feel your pain"
but I use Centos almost exclusively in 80% of all my local lan--so that wouldn't be true--I don't feel that pain--now.
Exclusions outside that 80% are the dedicated firewall/router and a couple more dedicated "things" running "A different Linux".
One sole WinXP computer is running in here--my loving and "I ain't gonna run Linux!!!" wife of 33 years now.