nux-dextop repo

Comments, suggestions, compliments, etc
taylorkh

nux-dextop repo

Post by taylorkh » 2019/06/18 22:07:28

I hate to be the one to bring this up but I feel that I should. I noticed that a couple of applications which I had installed from the nux-dextop repo (VLC Media Player and HandBrake) are very out of date. I inquired on the nux forum and was told by the maintainer
Thanks, unfortunately personal reasons keep me from doing much work on the repo.

This is very sad news as nux has been a very valuable resource to me and I am sure to a lot of members of the CentOS community. I owe a big THANK YOU for all the fine work.

The question is... should the reference to nux-dextop be removed from the CentOS site? or at least a comment noting that some of the packages may be out of date?

TIA,

Ken

p.s. VLC is available on rpmfusion at version 3.0.6 (latest is 3.0.7)

bonedome

Re: nux-dextop repo

Post by bonedome » 2019/10/04 20:09:49

This is very sad news as nux has been a very valuable resource to me and I am sure to a lot of members of the CentOS community. I owe a big THANK YOU for all the fine work.
I second that.
It does leave us with a bit of a conundrum though, as there are plenty of (sometimes vital) nux rpms that are just not available elsewhere.
Attempting to install vlc from rpmfusion will throw up all sorts of dependency problems with older nux packages.
You'll have to uninstall a whole lot of nux rpms and hope there are rpmfusion replacements that don't break other packages.
For the time being I've installed the latest (3.08) as a flatpak, the downside is the install size (over 2 Gb)
BTW handbrake is also available https://flathub.org/apps/details/fr.handbrake.ghb