Expanding partition size in Centos 6.5

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
garvind25

Expanding partition size in Centos 6.5

Post by garvind25 » 2022/10/07 16:54:31

Hi,

I am new to Linux and Virtual Machines. I got a CentOS 6.5 based VM from the internet and wanted to try it out. Hence I hope that someone can help me.

I installed the guest OS (CentOS 6.5) in VMWare Workstation 10. The size of the original HDD of the Guest OS in VM ware was about 35 GB. I wanted to extend it to 60 GB. To do so, I shut down the VM and then expanded the VM size to total 60 GB. Then I rebooted the CentOS, logged in as admin and ran the fdisk /dev/sda command to create a partition sda3. Pls see the attached snapshot.

merge_partition.jpg
merge_partition.jpg (74.75 KiB) Viewed 8376 times

My problem is that I want to merge the space in sda3 into sda1 (the boot partition) so that the overall size of sda1 increases. How to do so pls? Do note that the file system is ‘Linux’ in both the cases (and not Linux LVM).

Posting the query here as I need to run the CentOS 6.5 OS in a VM but the CentOS 6.5 forum is dead.

I look forward to your kind response.

Thanking You,
Arvind Gupta

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Expanding partition size in Centos 6.5

Post by TrevorH » 2022/10/08 14:11:47

Don't use CentOS 6 at all and definitely don't use 6.5 which is from 2013 so approaching its tenth birthday. All of CentOS 6 has been dead for nearly 3 years and 6.5 has been deader than that for much longer. It's riddled with unpatched security holes and is positively dangerous to run.

Find a newer image.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke