Is it ethically right to contact an author if something he has written in the book is not working for you?

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Is it ethically right to contact an author if something he has written in the book is not working for you?

Post by TrevorH » 2020/10/11 15:30:12

How is this on topic here? If you didn't have 23 other posts I would have assumed you were a spammer and deleted your entire account...
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

prabha_friend

Re: Is it ethically right to contact an author if something he has written in the book is not working for you?

Post by prabha_friend » 2020/10/11 15:57:23

Yes. This is related with the below Question:

https://forums.centos.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=75848

I don't want to do those steps 1 by 1 but as a whole like the author did the thing...

You can go ahead and Delete my account if you want but I never give up the way I want to do the things as the author does on the Book.

- S.Prabhakaran Karuppaih

P.S:
I don't want to learn freePBX. As I said before I am not ready to Quit learning Asterisk just because it is a bit harder than other tools... I believe in the following Quote:
ANYTHING WORTH DOING IS ALSO WORTH DOING POORLY UNTIL YOU LEARN TO DO IT WELL

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2020/10/12 07:07:08

KernelOops wrote:get an asterisk distro, like FreePBX.
There seems to be two options:
  1. Learn some Linux distro, properly. Then learn Asterisk and how to install Asterisk to that Linux distro.
  2. Learn some Linux distro that already has Asterisk. Then learn Asterisk.

aks

Post by aks » 2020/10/18 17:46:01

Ethics are actually quite personal (IMO).
Try to think why.
Why is this (book published) thing, for me, not working?
Blindly (without understanding why) following a book's description is (IMO) dumb.
Skipping bits, is often worse.

So yes, IMO it is wrong, mainly because you are.

MJX

Post by MJX » 2020/10/23 10:11:59

NO, there are many roads to any particular solution. Just because you don't agree with the author does not mean it is wrong. Why is it the everyone today wants to feel like their opinion is so important. Other people take the time, effort and research necessary to write a book. But then everyone else wants to effortlessly be the arm chair quarterback. Reading a book, listening to the radio, watching TV all have the same option. You don't like what you see, change the channel, station or book. If you purchased the book, I suggest researching the author or book first and then decide if its worthy of your hard earned money.