I use fedora core linux, since fc5 release. It is 15 years now! And also: centos releases as desktop. I'm not a professional, just a hobbyist geek. But also not a noob.
My goals: use a red hat like distro, for a looong time. I like fedora, really do. But I have work, I have family, so have no time for geek plays. Just work. Just be quiet and do whatever I need.
Centos as a long term desktop? Why not!? Actually it is always a fedora something, with 10 years life. Perfect.
C5: it was simple, a bit nostalgic, but steelhard. Outdated now.
C6: also great. I used it in my thinkpad laptop for years, laptop died, skip.
C7: Some work in 2014. great. Everything work, I need is. Cool.
Well... i need some... engineer stuff. not much, just a few but important work. kicad 5. Annd: freecad 18. no way to install in centos 7! Maybe older versions, but not perfect. Solution: go back to fedora for a while. It is ok, but install every year once?
Finally centos 8 is here!
Now I'm here. Just install some stuff and ready to go. 2 month now, a lot of stuff is missing. Seriously guys??? A bunch of lib is missing. These were ok in C7.
Less than a dozen app needs for me, and i'm happy for the next 6-8 years.
- Need some torrent. rtorrent. Nothing else. Ok. compile some qbittorrent.
Code: Select all
configure: error: Package requirements (libtorrent-rasterbar >= 1.0.6) were not met: Package 'libtorrent-rasterbar', required by 'virtual:world', not found Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you installed software in a non-standard prefix. Alternatively, you may set the environment variables libtorrent_CFLAGS and libtorrent_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config. See the pkg-config man page for more details.
- video: at least smaplyer in rpmfusion. ok.
- music: wow. no torrent but deadbeef. Ok now.
- i almost forget: desktop! I use gnome 2 since i know what linux is. since gnome 3 i use mate. Yeah. A can watch the same style for my entire life. desktop is not matter. just be simple, be the same, get out of my way, do the work. I'm not a fancy tech lover guy, i have only stupid phone. Srong, but stupid. I dont need new desktop, fancy features. I need working computer, stable and reliable. So. Where is mate? No mate. no. Ok..... NOooo not ok.
I found some copr, It do the trick for now.
- file manager: gnome-commander. No way to install libgnome2. no building from source without this. Ok, i can live with double commander. Not the best, but ok. Next please.
- arduino ide: well, it is kind of a prebuild package, just download, extract, some install to have icons and go. Great.
- engineering stuff: kicad and freecad. what the f...... force? Boys. it is the hardest. What you think? Do i have any chance at all??
I need kicad 5 and freecad 18. not need any update. just work! I need more time on this.
I know expertly what you think:
"Vladi, you absolutely dumb easterneuropean mfcker. why not install with appimage or snapcraft, or windows 10, like every normal people on earth? "
I say to this: "are you mental?" "I installed Linux before pulseaudio, grub2, systemd. just KISS. I know, i'am anciant, but this is the deal. I use Linux kind stuff purpose"
So what now? Just shut up and work on my desktop. When i ready, a have a few years to find out where to go: debian? freebsd? mac? (dont be ridiculous...)
Just check later, if a few appz ready for cent repos? nux-desktop forex.
Any help welcome, if no: FIRE HERE.