Differences Between CentOS and RHEL -- Software Works As-Is on RHEL, Fails on CentOS

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
svet-am

Differences Between CentOS and RHEL -- Software Works As-Is on RHEL, Fails on CentOS

Post by svet-am » 2009/04/02 13:25:37

I work for a major semiconductor (chip) company and we provide an EDA suite to our partners and customers. Officially, we support RHEL4 and RHEL5 and our EDA tools work just fine in that environment. However, a number of our constituents report difficulty getting our tools up and running on CentOS4 and CentOS5.

I am a Linux veteran and an active CentOS user, but I have not been able to find a way to easily "diff" RHEL and CentOS to determine what is different in terms of kernel, libraries, et al.

Even if there are "substantive" differences between CentOS and RHEL, we would be willing to provide active support for CentOS users provided we could document the differences and how to accommodate for them.

I am not comfortable publicly disclosing which company I work for, but I would be willing to do so via PM if a CentOS forum admin or developer would like to pursue this further.

herrold

Differences Between CentOS and RHEL -- Software Works As-Is

Post by herrold » 2009/04/02 19:44:31

CentOS 4 and 5 each conform, with three known and non-material exceptions, to the LSB standard and tests suite, at the 3.2 level. The rev 4 LSB spec is not yet complete, but preliminary testing indicates we will have no problem there either

You are welcome to contact me with a reproducer, and I will be happy to look at the issue wiuth you. As needed, I can perhaps point out why you are seeing varying results

My bona fides are readily knowable as to centos with a quick google search, or perhaps from my presence in the LSB's ongoing minutes

https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/lsb-discuss/2008-August/005410.html

-- Russ herrold
herrold at centos dot org

pjwelsh

Re: Differences Between CentOS and RHEL -- Software Works As-Is on RHEL, Fails on CentOS

Post by pjwelsh » 2009/04/03 16:26:16

If you provide an indication of the type or error and/or the errors themselves, we may be able to more quickly help you resolve the issue. I have not seen any issue with RHEL drivers/software not working in CentOS.

TBJI

Re: Differences Between CentOS and RHEL -- Software Works As-Is on RHEL, Fails on CentOS

Post by TBJI » 2009/07/01 16:22:56

I am about to build either a CentOS 5.3 or RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.3 server. I am doing this so that I may build sys admin skills and a set of scripts to help me do my job as a system administrator in RedHat Linux. I am going to practice all aspects of system administration and shell and Perl scripting on this box...whichever one I happen to install. Hopefully the scripts that I develop will help me to keep my job / make it possible to do the job faster.

From the conversations directly above it sounds like if I decide to install and maintain CentOS 5.3 all of my scripts should be usable in the RedHat environment. Is this true?

I think I cut/paste from the CentOS FAQ the following, "The CentOS project is not interested in taking credit for work done by others, so where possible we will leave all vendor file names as they are. If we must make any changes to a package (due to trademark restrictions, to setup a configuration file, etc.), it will have a .centosx in the filename (the x is the CentOS version ... 3 for CentOS-3.x, 4 for CentOS-4.x, etc.)"

If it is not too much trouble, can anyone do a quick find on their 5.3 file system from / on "centosx" and tell me which files this includes? How many files are named with a .centosx in CentOD 5.3? If the list is small can you paste the full paths in your response so that I can see what I am dealing with?

Thanks!

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2009/07/01 17:54:04

[quote]
TBJI wrote:
From the conversations directly above it sounds like if I decide to install and maintain CentOS 5.3 all of my scripts should be usable in the RedHat environment. Is this true?
[/quote]
That would be expected as CentOS strives to maintain binary compatibility with RHEL, as you saw if you read the FAQs, so I'm not really saying anything new.

In the future please start a new topic and do not hijack an existing topic with a new set of questions. Would be better to just reference the old topic if it is needed for context.

[quote]

If it is not too much trouble, can anyone do a quick find on their 5.3 file system from / on "centosx" and tell me which files this includes? How many files are named with a .centosx in CentOD 5.3? If the list is small can you paste the full paths in your response so that I can see what I am dealing with?
[/quote]

A search for centosx would yield the null set, and if I understand you correctly you do not really want a search of the filesystem anyway, but a list of the changed packages. This can be found in the [url=http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.3#head-e206ad965f52945e6958c2eac768eb69c377ba29]Release Notes[/url]. The Wiki page you quoted seems to be obsolete. For CentOS 5 the packages just have "centos" in the name and not centos5. A search of the os/i386/CentOS directory for packages containing "centos" in the name finds 203 packages and of the os/x86_64/CentOS directory finds 220. I'm not going to list them all here. The following command executed in the top level of the DVD media will show you the list for the architecture:
[code]
find CentOS -name "*centos*"
[/code]

Welcome to the CentOS fora.

Return to “CentOS Social”