Way OT - Verizon Static IP Fiber Optic Service (FiOS)

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
WhatsHisName

Post by WhatsHisName » 2009/02/06 17:10:36

Maybe someone running a static IP (business) Verizon FiOS connection can answer two questions from their experiences, because I cannot get knowledgeable answers from Verizon.

1) Will Verizon modify their reverse DNS records for your static addresses to point to your domain(s)? This is something I routinely have Speakeasy (my primary business ISP) do for their assigned static DSL addresses (for the benefit of my outbound mail server).

2) With Verizon static IP (business) FiOS service, is there a web-based or email-based service ticket system for dealing with technical issues/problems or do you have to call the stupid toll-free number and spend 5 minutes going through self-help questions before waiting on hold another 5-10 minutes for a human?

Two events prompted my questions.

The first event was having the dynamic IP FiOS service installed at home recently (20M/5M). Way faster than the 768K/128K DSL it replaced for almost the same price. Also, the installer who installs primarily business FiOS (static IP) service provided a wealth of information about what to expect from static IP service.

The second event was seeing the Verizon trucks stringing fiber optic cable in front of my business last week (currently using 6M/768K static IP & 3M/768K dynamic IP DSLs). With a static IP 20M/20M FiOS connection going for US$140/mo (2-yr contract), which is less than the cost of the two current DSLs, it definitely got my attention.

But my historical experience with the Verizon dynamic IP (business) DSL technical support has left me doubtful about their ability to support my business needs via FiOS. Residential level support for a business connection just doesn't get it. In contrast, I have only good things to say about my Speakeasy technical support.

So if anyone knows answers to those two questions or just wants to throw in some interesting experiences with the FiOS service, then please do jump in.

Rants and raves are welcomed (within reason) in this forum.

bodanel

Post by bodanel » 2009/02/12 19:33:17

From what i know my colleague who is responsable for our connections call that phone number and the people who answer give him a ticket number. I will ask tomorrow and give you an update.

WhatsHisName

Re: Way OT - Verizon Static IP Fiber Optic Service (FiOS)

Post by WhatsHisName » 2009/02/12 22:51:56

Any info would be appreciated and is more than I can pry from Verizon.

The Verizon cable installers were out front in the street today running the smaller distribution cable, so one assumes availability is not that far off.

It was quite a show. There was one guy in the bucket, one watching from the ground, two more directing traffic and a police officer sitting in his car with the lights flashing, probably cursing that he was stuck doing this today.

bodanel

Post by bodanel » 2009/02/13 11:35:17

I am sorry to disapoint you but we have only that phone no just like you.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2009/02/13 12:03:47

To take it even further offtopic, there is the excellent gethuman.com website. It gives ways to get through wasting time. For example, with TimeWarner, we had a cable issue.--there seemed to be no way around going through their self-help thing, which, I knew from experience, was for people who didn't understand how it works. Gethuman.com gave the solution (I don't remember off the top of my head, but it often involves pressing 0 at each prompt, ignoring all messages.)

It can cut phone menu navigation time by several minutes.

WhatsHisName

Post by WhatsHisName » 2009/02/13 13:31:02

Thanks for the info bodanel. Sounds like support via telephone is the only option.

Thanks for the link scottro. I see some other numbers that will be useful, too.

At home, I changed the router to IPCop and needed to break the FiOS dhcp lease for the new MAC to be recognized. I called the consumer customer support number to make the request and found them to be surprisingly knowledgeable and helpful. For DSL customer support, you call different telephone numbers for consumer and business support, so I assume the same is true for FiOS service.

Helpful Verizon FiOS tip: If you get TV service with FiOS, they normally provide the WAN connection to the router via a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MoCA]MoCA[/url] cable. To simplify changing the router, ask the installer to supply the WAN connection via a Cat5e cable instead of MoCA. They will still run the MoCA cable to the router, which will provide the set top boxes with an internet connection.

Many other useful Verizon FiOS tips can be found at [url=http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios]dslreports.com - Verizon Online FiOS FAQ[/url].