Fedora 11 (Shape of things to come?)

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
toracat
Forum Moderator

Re: Fedora 11 (Shape of things to come?)

Post by toracat » 2009/02/07 17:11:38

[quote]
scottro wrote:

With the smaller distributions, the developers always tend to be nice--they're glad you're using their brainchild--plus, as it will be a smaller group of people using it, they have more time to devote, as well as usually attracting a group that is more likely to have done the preliminary groundwork themselves.[/quote]
I almost thought you were describing Scientific Linux - a cousin product of CentOS (in the sense it is also an RHEL clone). It is small, there is no forum, no bug report site, only the mailing list. But the developers are always so nice and extremely helpful (no, I'm not saying CentOS developers are not helpful). It just does not suffer from those issues described by Scott that are typically found in larger distributions.

NedSlider
Forum Moderator

Fedora 11 (Shape of things to come?)

Post by NedSlider » 2009/02/07 20:12:58

Nice analogy Scott :-)

[quote]
toracat wrote:

I almost thought you were describing Scientific Linux - a cousin product of CentOS (in the sense it is also an RHEL clone). It is small, there is no forum, no bug report site, only the mailing list. But the developers are always so nice and extremely helpful (no, I'm not saying CentOS developers are not helpful). It just does not suffer from those issues described by Scott that are typically found in larger distributions.[/quote]

SL is also "developed" by scientists/academics who know how to collaborate and communicate as that is an important part of their day jobs and hence a skill set they naturally possess. I guess that communication skills aren't top on the list of priorities for a software developer hence you get what you get - some can communicate effectively, others can't.

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2009/02/10 09:16:13

[quote]scottro wrote:
The old system of labeling disks (this is a Linux thing, AFAIK, not just Fedora--the Debian derivatives seem to be using it too) by long numerical UUID's. This is fine, and I believe that there are some advantages to it, but it makes a bit more difficult to share a swap partition for multiboot machines, as each installation will give the swap partition its own UUID, and then the other distributions can't mount it. The easy workaround, if one is running a multiboot desktop or laptop is to, in each installation, change the UUID to /dev/sdX.[/quote]
Both ways have their advantages. "Sane" installation should logically not touch the UUID/label of existing filesystem (incl. swap).
But in simple clone installation of class/cluster I'd prefer the labels. One should not find the same UUID from different partitions, but labeling root partition of each machine "system" is logical.

Bumped on that Fedora 10 "no default xorg.conf". So default settings for mouse. Tolerable, yes. But you can guess twice whether overriding the default works (for remapping buttons). Hint: "yes" is not the answer I've found so far. You can blame slow access to release notes, manual, google, and bugzilla if you so desire. Not that it really matters on servers, but as one may guess the F10 is on desktop.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2009/02/10 11:45:37

Well, I've already had my run in with the release notes. :)

The new F11 is following upstream Xorg and disabling ctl+alt+backspace---apparently, many people hit it by mistake.
So, the new release notes mention this and tell how to fix it by configuring xorg.conf. On the testing list, I mentioned that as there is no xorg.conf, newcomers might be confused, at which point, it was suggested that I create a wiki account and add it, which I did. I also, since doing X -configure creates a very rudimentary xorg.conf, with no ServerFlags section, added a few lines to show the newcomer exactly how to do it.

By the next day, my addition had been deleted. As it's Fedora, I shrugged, figuring this is more or less their attitude, have the documentation incomplete, then when the newcomers ask about it, they can be told how stupid they were for not finding it through a 10 minute google search. :)

Instead, I'll just put a sticky on their forums. I'm sure they had their reasons for deleting it, but frankly, I don't have the time to try to write 5 lines that meet their standards, especially when much of their documentation already strikes me as rather poorly done. (Of course, that line may just be sour grapes, so take it with a grain of salt.)

I will mention, however, that the release notes for F10 had some common problems--all of which were barely mentioned by the influx of newcomers and really didn't seem relevant. In contrast, the main issues that were affecting people, both newcomers and experienced (broken NetworkManager, no SCSI boot, multimedia not working, webcam not working--none of these were considered common problems.

Return to “CentOS Social”