Complete CentOS Newbie - Fatal Exception Error

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
cookiedough

Complete CentOS Newbie - Fatal Exception Error

Post by cookiedough » 2022/07/09 07:46:21

I use Oracle Virtual Machine with CentOS 6.1 loaded (appreciate EOL however it's a works system), everything was working fine until I went to use it yesterday and Fatal Exception error, Kernel Panic set in, as it did with me! Any ideas on however to rectify this?
Kernel Panic.png
Kernel Panic.png (17.38 KiB) Viewed 9177 times
Not familiar at all with this OS, so please layman's terms is the best for me at the moment. I'm happy to have a dabble with coding etc but basic instructions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Complete CentOS Newbie - Fatal Exception Error

Post by TrevorH » 2022/07/09 11:29:00

Sorry but CentOS 6 is unsupported in all its forms. It went EOL in 2020 and thre will be no more updates for it. However, your screenshot shows you are not actually running CentOS 6, you are running CentOS 5 which is even worse, went EOL in 2017 and has been unsupported ever since.

That screenshot is a kernel panic and there is nothing that a newbie can do about fixing that apart from upgrading to a version that works.

Work system or not, no-one should be running CentOS 6.1 as that's ancient even by CentOS 6 standards. The latest and last version of CentOS 6 is 6.10 which is 7 years newer than 6.1 so if you are to stand any chance of getting CentOS 6 to run, that would be the version to use. And even then, it's still not supported and is riddled with security problems. And as for the actual system you are running, it has a kernel from 5.3 in 2009.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke